This is a one or two day course offered at Freycinet. The course content includes a basic outline of all technical content required to pass the the SPG Qualification. The TCIA highly recommends attending one of these training courses prior to assessment.
Material covered includes:
- Placing and evaluating artificial protection (nuts, camming devices etc).
- Building anchors.
- Rigging top ropes and abseiling anchors.
- Performing basic rescues.
- Group management, safety, briefing and environmental issues.
- Guiding single-pitch trad routes with easy access to the top and bottom.
Course cost is $200 per day, assuming a 1:2 guide ratio. This also assumes the candidate is already qualified to a TRA level.
Due to the technical nature of these courses a prerequisite level of knowledge is required. This includes:
- Ability to tie a range of knots and hitches (figure 8, figure 8 on the bight, clove hitch, tape knot, Italian hitch, double-fishermans, bowline).
- Basic knowledge of rigging anchor points.
Training covered includes:
- Belay methods using ATC guide or assisted belay devices.
- Instruction on briefing components required for SPG lead climbing conditions.
- Raising and lowering rescues specific to SPG conditions.
Consult the Training Calendar for the next SPG Training dates. Extra dates will be scheduled as required.