This is a one or two day course offered at Freycinet. The course content includes a basic outline of all technical content required to pass the the SPG qualification. The TCIA highly recommends attending one of these training courses prior to assessment.
The course covers:
- Placing and evaluating artificial protection (nuts, camming devices etc)
- Building anchors
- Belay methods using ATC guide or assisted belay devices
- Instruction on group management and safety, environmental issues to consider and briefing components required for SPG lead climbing conditions
- Raising and lowering rescues specific to SPG conditions
- Guiding single-pitch trad routes with easy access to the top and bottom
Cost – see here.
Due to the technical nature of this course a prerequisite level of knowledge is required. This includes:
- Ability to tie a range of knots and hitches (figure 8, figure 8 on the bight, clove hitch, tape knot, Italian hitch, double-fishermans, bowline).
- Basic knowledge of rigging anchor points.
Consult the Training Calendar for the next SPG Training dates. Extra dates will be scheduled as required.
The following information will help candidates get a feel for the nature of the TCIA as an organisation and the content of the assessment: