Assuming the candidate already holds a current TCIA TRA qualification, assessment requires a further half-day session to lead a client on a single pitch climb using artificial gear (nuts, cams etc). For SPGs it will be necessary to demonstrate proficient use of artificial gear and assisted belay devices/belay plates in guide mode (e.g. ATC guide; Petzl Gri Gri).
Candidates are expected to:
- Keep themselves and their clients safe at all times
- Demonstrate a well engrained safety check and briefing procedures for single-pitch guiding
- Offer a quality experience to their clients
- Be proficient at responding to any emergency situation that may arise
- Be competent at guiding clients on single-pitch trad route (with easy access to the top and bottom of the climb) using artificial protection such as wires and cams
Assessment cost is $245. Additional assessment time and costs will be applicable if the candidate does not currently hold a TCIA TRA qualification.
To apply for assessment:
2. Candidates are also required to formally apply to the TCIA in order to prove their suitability for assessment. Please complete the application form and post it along with a copy of your log and $100 TCIA membership to the membership secretary at least 1 month prior to assessment.
Remember to include:
- Contact details of two referees who are happy to comment on your suitability for assessment.
- A log book demonstrating you have assisted instructing abseiling/top roping on at least 4 different occasions and that you have climbed > 25 traditional climbs.
- $100 membership to the TCIA (valid for 2 years).
3. Candidates are required to organise a client who will be used for assessment.
Consult the Training Calendar for the next SPG Assessment dates: they are in general the set seasonal weekends. Extra dates will be scheduled as required.
The following information will help candidates get a feel for the nature of the assessment: