Assuming the candidate already holds a current TCIA TRG qualification, assessment requires a further full day of assessment across two 3-4 hour sessions. Both sessions require the candicate to safely and efficiently lead two clients (one client will be the assessor) on a single pitch climb using artificial/trad gear (nuts, cams etc). The first session will focus on performing a number of rescues during the single pitch climb. The second session will focus on the delivery of a guided experience where the clients will be taken on numerous single pitch climbs to match their ability/challenge requirements.
Candidates are expected to:
- Keep themselves and their clients safe at all times
- Demonstrate a well engrained safety check and briefing procedures for single-pitch guiding
- Demonstrate proficient use of artificial gear and assisted belay devices/belay plates in guide mode (e.g. ATC guide; Petzl Gri Gri).
- Offer a quality experience to their clients
- Be proficient at responding to any emergency situation that may arise
- Be competent at guiding clients on single-pitch trad route (with easy access to the top and bottom of the climb) using artificial protection such as wires and cams
Cost – see here.
To apply for assessment
Fill in an expression of interest and contact the Secretary.
A TCIA TRG qualification or equivalent is required as a prerequisite prior to SPG assessment. Please discuss with the Secretary prior to booking.
Candidates are required to organise a client who will be used for assessment.
Consult the Training Calendar for the next SPG Assessment dates, they are in general the set seasonal training and assessment weekends. Extra dates will be organised as required.
The following information will help candidates get a feel for the nature of the assessment: