This is a one day assessment. The venue for assessment is flexible (Hobart, Launceston, Freycinet). Candidates are required to run 2 half day abseiling sessions. At each session they will be required to rig one abseil setup. Candidates will then use this set up to run an abseiling session with 3-5 clients. Basic rescues (2:1 raise and entrapment release) will be assessed.
Candidates are expected to:
- Keep themselves and their clients safe at all times
- Demonstrate a well engrained safety check and briefing procedures
- Offer a quality experience to their clients
- Be proficient at responding to any emergency situation that may arise
Assessment cost is $245 per session, so $490 for the day.
To apply for assessment:
2. Candidates are also required to formally apply to the TCIA in order to prove their suitability for assessment. Please complete the application form and post it along with a copy of your log book and $100 TCIA membership to the membership secretary at least 1 month prior to assessment.
Remember to include:
- Contact details of 2 referees who are happy to comment on your suitability for assessment.
- A log book demonstrating you have assisted instructing abseiling on at least 4 different occasions.
- $100 membership to the TCIA (valid for 2 years).
3. Candidates are required to organise 3-5 clients who will be used for assessment.
This assessment can be run on demand however this may be expensive. It is best to use one of our Spring, Summer or Autumn set weekends. Consult the Training Calendar for the next scheduled BAI assessment dates.
The following information will help candidates get a feel for the nature of the TCIA as an organisation and the content of the assessment: